Family fitness—exercising and living a healthy lifestyle as a group—is for every family, large and small, young and old, urban and rural. Experiencing physical activity and nutritious eating together as a family can improve your overall mental, physical and emotional health. Studies show that being held accountable as you work towards goals with a friend or family member is more fun and you are likely to achieve more success. Family fitness can create stronger emotional bonds, improve communication skills and provide an opportunity to make memories built on fun, laughter, and togetherness.
Other Benefits of Exercising Together
- Some health professionals believe exercising together as a family may just be the solution to rising obesity rates and increasing family instability.
- Exercise not only improves health, but increases self-confidence and reduces anxiety in children.
- Participating in physical activity as a family also strengthens family bonds and improves the overall mood of both the parents and the children. The benefits even go as far as a better night’s sleep and improved performance at work and school.
Activities to Get the Whole Family Moving
- Planting a vegetable garden or working in your yard
- Exploring parks and trails in your area
- Tossing around a football or frisbee
- Playing a game of soccer
- Taking an evening walk
- Taking a family bike ride
- Dance Party!
Remember… Families that PLAY together STAY together