Since it’s the Back to School season, many of us are recovering from a relaxing summer of a few too many food indulgences and want to get back on track with healthier eating. Whether or not you’re packing school lunches for children, why not pack a healthy school-style lunch for yourself? Making a balanced, healthy packed lunch is much like the plate method we offer at Movara!
The basic guideline is to make sure you have a protein, whole grain, fruit and/or vegetable. And plan to switch it up for variety’s sake. Here are 10 quick lunch options that could give you a 2-week meal rotation. (Note: Use whatever vegetables and fruits you will eat! Add more veggies if you are a volume eater.)
- Hummus and roasted veggie sandwich or wrap with carrots and grapes
- Chicken salad and pita bread with celery and an apple
- Cheese slices, Kashi TLC crackers and orange slices
- Ants on a log and whole grain Goldfish crackers
- Turkey bagel sandwich and an apple
- Hard-boiled egg, bagel with Laughing Cow cheese and carrots
- Peanut butter sandwich and a banana
- Granola bar, cashews and applesauce
- Cheese quesadilla with carrots and celery and salsa for dipping
- Chicken strips, tortilla chips or Original Sun Chips and a fruit leather/raisins
- Ham and cheese roll up (whole wheat or corn tortillas, cut like sushi) and pineapple
If you don’t already have one, get an insulated lunch box with ice packs to keep perishable items cold. This will allow you more options for protein choices which definitely help to prevent boredom. Always take water – or a milk or juice box if you really want to reminisce about your school days.
So, start packing your lunch for work, and please share any new lunch combinations you’d like us to add to our list!
Adapted from an original post by Emily Fonnesbeck RD,CD