Intuitive Eating Principles
Adapted from Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program that Works” By Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD and Elyse Resch, MS, RD, FADA
Below are the 10 principles of Intuitive Eating. For more information, please check out the book listed above!
1. Reject the Diet Mentality
- Make a firm commitment to give up dieting for the rest of your life.
- Reject the feelings of failure of dieting and gaining the weight back. It is the diet that doesnt work, not you.
2. Honor Your Hunger
- Keep your body biologically fed with adequate energy, carbohydrates and fat. Otherwise you will trigger a drive to overeat.
- Honor the first biological signs of hunger to develop trust with yourself and food.
3. Make Peace with Food
- Give yourself unconditional permission to eat whatever you really like.
- Restriction isnt a solution for chaos, it causes it.
4. Challenge the Food Police
- Scream a loud no to the voice that declares you are good for eating less than 1,000 calories and bad for eating a piece of chocolate cake.
5. Feel Your Fullness
- Listen for the body signals that tell you that you are no longer hungry.
- Observe the signs that show you are comfortably full.
6. Discover the Satisfaction Factor
- In our fury to be thin and healthy, we often overlook one of the most basic gifts of existence the pleasure and satisfaction that can be found in eating.
- Eating good food in a good environment will help you to feel satisfied and content. You will find that it takes much less food for you to feel full.
7. Cope with Your Emotions Without Using Food
- Find ways to comfort, nurture, distract, and resolve your issues without using food.
8. Respect Your Body
- Accept your genetic blueprint and work with it rather than against it
- Feel better about who you are and avoid being overly critical of your body shape.
9. Exercise Feel the Difference
- Forget militant exercise. Just get active and feel the difference. Shift your focus to how it feels to move your body rather than needing to lose weight.
- Make exercise convenient and fun incorporating it into your lifestyle.
10. Honor Your Health Gentle Nutrition
- Make food choices that honor your health and taste buds while making you feel well. A healthy choice is one that feels good while you are eating it and after.
- Remember that you dont have to eat a perfect diet to be healthy. Progress, not perfection is what counts. It is the whole diet, not just one individual meal or snack.