One of the most common requests we get is for meal and snack ideas. So here they are! Simple and balanced – below is a list of ideas. What are your favorite meals and snacks? Leave them in the comments for all of us to try!
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal, quinoa or cream of buckwheat made with 1 cup milk or milk alternative. Top with nuts or nut butter and fruit.
- 2 egg veggie omelet with 1/4 avocado and 1 slice whole grain bread
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 tbsp honey or maple syrup, 1 cup puffed whole grain cereal (or favorite cereal or granola), 1 tbsp chia seed and fruit
- 1 cup cottage cheese, 2 tbsp flax seed and fruit
- Smoothie (1 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 tbsp honey or maple syrup, 1 tbsp flaxseed, 1 cup fruit, 1 cup spinach or kale, 1/3-1/2 cup raw rolled oats thin with water or milk)
- Whole grain English muffin with 2 tbsp peanut butter and banana
- Hard boiled eggs (2), 1 slice whole grain toast, 1 tbsp butter and fruit
- Scrambled eggs (2), 1 slice toast, 1/2 tbsp butter and fruit
- 1 slice toast, mashed 1/4 avocado, tomato slices and top with scrambled eggs, and sprinkle salt and pepper
- 2 cups bean and vegetable soup with 1 oz cheese
- Sandwiches made with 3-5 oz lean meat/poultry/fish/egg (1 tbsp mayo and mustard, lettuce and tomato) or 2 tbsp nut butter on whole grain bread with 1/3 cup hummus and raw vegetables.
- Entrée Salad 2 cups greens, 1 cup mixed vegetables, 2 hard boiled eggs (or other protein), 1?2 cup beans (or brown rice or potato, etc) and 1-2 tbsp vinaigrette.
- Hummus, avocado and veggie wrap Use whole grain wrap, 1/4 cup hummus, 1/2 avocado and veggies
- 1 cup cottage cheese, vegetables, whole grain pita and 2 tbsp almonds.
- Loaded sweet potato (1 cup beans, salsa, roasted veggies, 1?4 avocado)
- Chili baked potato – chili over baked potato (cook in microwave) topped with 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup brown rice and 1 cup beans with salsa, tomato, shredded lettuce, onion and 1/4 avocado
- Fish tacos – 3-6 oz grilled fish in 2 corn tortillas topped with 1?4 avocado, salsa, cabbage and side salad with 1 tbsp vinaigrette.
- Stir-fry made with veggies, 3-6 oz lean meat, poultry, fish, tofu or edamame over 1?2-1 cup brown rice (season with garlic, onion, ginger, salt and pepper)
- Taco salad 2 cups greens, tomato, onion, salsa, 1/4 cup shredded cheese, 3-6 oz grilled chicken or lean meat, 1?2 cup beans and 1 oz corn tortilla chips.
- 2 cup lean turkey chili topped with 1?4 avocado
- 2 cups spaghetti squash topped with 1 cup turkey marinara and steamed vegetables.
- Pizzas made on whole grain English muffins or tortillas. Use pizza sauce, 2 oz cheese, a few pepperoni and 1 cup vegetables (on top and on the side).
- Salsa chicken – chicken in crockpot, top with salsa and cook. Shred and serve with 1/2-1 cup brown rice, vegetables and 2 tbsp sour cream
- 3-6 oz salmon with baked potato, 1/2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp sour cream and steamed veggies
- Breakfast or lunch ideas
- Fruit and nuts (2 tbsp) or nut butter (1 tbsp)
- Ants on a Log
- 1 1?2 cups edamame on pod
- Veggies and Greek yogurt dip (plain yogurt with salt, dill weed, garlic powder and minced onion)
- 1?2 cup cottage cheese or yogurt with fruit
- 100 calorie pack popcorn topped with garlic powder and 1 oz parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup hummus and vegetables
- Small pouch of tuna or salmon with 1 oz whole grain crackers
- 1 cup bean and vegetable soup
- Hard boiled egg and fruit
- Trail mix made with 1?2 – 1 cup cereal (whole grain cereals), 1/4 cup dried fruit (mangoes, cranberries, raisins, apricots, etc), and 1 tbsp nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, etc)
- Smoothie (see breakfast)
- 1 oz cheese with 10 small whole grain crackers
- Shelf stable organic soy or cows milk with whole 1 cup grain cereal
- 3 oz Turkey, 1 oz cheese and veggie roll ups
- 1 small sweet potato with 1-2 tbsp almond butter
- Jerky with fruit
- Toast with 1 tbsp peanut butter
We hope this helps!