Ever get bored of the same old plain oatmeal or think that plain greek yogurt is too tart? You are not alone! Oatmeal and greek yogurt lack flavor in the plain varieties, yet turn into candy bars the second you opt for a flavored selection – Cinnabon even has an oatmeal flavor now! So what are we to do about this conundrum? Below are some sweet additives to boost up these two healthy breakfast options, feel free to switch and swap around to keep your taste buds ever expanding.
– Canned pure pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice (if not available in a store near you, make your own by mixing together nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and allspice)
– Crystal light pure fitness (can also stir some into low fat ricotta cheese, mix with chopped strawberries for an awesome spread on plain rice cakes)
– Fresh squeezed orange and pure vanilla extract for a creamsicle feel
– Baking cocoa mixed with stevia to mimic the flavor of milk chocolate
– Grated coconut and fresh pineapple (Mmm a natural Pina Colada taste!)
– Shredded carrots, raisins and stevia
– Mashed banana and cardamom
– Frozen cherries and unsweetened vanilla almond milk for oats, vanilla extract for yogurt
For a protein/whole grain pairing, mix together your naturally flavored greek yogurt and oatmeal!
Jessica Hummel, Nutrition Counselor