Have you heard of this? It seems to be everywhere lately and I most recently saw it on the Today Show as an idea for healthy snacks for kids. I had wanted to try it for a while and when my 5 year old asked for ice cream the other night and we had frozen bananas, I decided to give it a try. The result: Amazing! We all loved it.
So here is what you do:
Banana Soft Serve
- Cut 4 overripe bananas into chunks and place in a freezer bag.
- Allow to freeze completely.
- Place the chunks in a food processor.
- Pulse several times to cut into smaller pieces and then turn it on high allowing it to run for about 5 minutes. You may need to stop it occasionally and scrape the sides. (Watch closely though to be sure not to over mix or the bananas will get too warm and liquidy.)
- Once it is ice cream consistency (and it WILL get there!) serve immediately.
- Serves 4 (approximately 1/2 cup serving each), 100-120 calories each.
You won’t believe it until you try it! Creamy ice cream without any added sugar or saturated fat. And an easy way to eat fruit! It would be fun to mix in some cocoa powder or peanut butter or top with granola or chocolate chips. So the next time you have overripe bananas and you don’t want to make Banana Muffins…try this!
Emily Fonnesbeck RD,CD